Plan Your Visit
Just a reminder: the historic site will be CLOSED on Election Day, Tues. Nov. 8th, and in observance of Veterans Day, Fri. Nov. 11th. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Visit T.C. Steele State Historic Site and enjoy guided tours of Steele’s studio and home, stroll through Selma Steele’s restored gardens, and discover the ever-changing views of scenic southern Indiana. Take a pleasant drive to a perfect destination. We’re located in Belmont, midway between Bloomington and Nashville, Indiana.
As of July 31st, 2015, our historic stone arches were struck and smashed by the falling of Steele’s old black oak tree. The arches have been rebuilt, but our front entrance remains closed. We’re still open! Enter through the second entrance, a little farther down the road, and park in our lot or the overflow/bus lot.
For program schedule and related activities, please check out our Programs page for more information.
- Tuesday – Saturday 9 am-5 pm
- Sunday 1 pm-5 pm
- Closed Mondays and most holidays.
- In accordance with government closures, the site will be CLOSED on the following days in 2016: January 1, New Year’s Day; January 18, MLK Day; March 27, Easter Sunday; May 3, Primary Election Day; October 10, Columbus Day; November 8, Election Day; November 11, Veterans Day; November 24 & 25, Thanksgiving; December 24th & 25, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The site will be closed on New Year’s Day, Jan. 1, 2017. A complete 2017 list coming soon.
- The site will be OPEN on the following government holidays in 2016: Friday, March 25, Good Friday; Monday, May 30, Memorial Day; Monday, July 4, Independence Day; Monday, September 5, Labor Day.
The site is closed Mondays and most holidays. Hourly guided tours of Steele’s Large Studio and the House of the Singing Winds are available year-round. Tours begin promptly on the quarter hour.
Tues-Sat Tour Schedule.
Sunday Tour Schedule
The first tour begins at 9:15 am (1:15 pm on Sundays). The last tour each day begins at 4:15 pm. Contact the site to schedule a special tour for your group. We do not offer self guided tours of the House and Studio.
Regular Tour Admission
- Adults $7.00
- Seniors (60 and up) $6.00
- Children (age 3-17) $4.00
- Children under 3, free
The gardens and grounds are always free!
Group Admission (To make a reservation, please call the site)
A group gets this special rate with 15+ people.
- Group Adult $6.00
- Group Senior (60 and up) $5.00
- Group Child (age 3-17) $3.00
- Children under 3, free
- Organized K-12 Indiana School Group FREE for students!
Discounts & Reciprocal Agreements
- Family Discount: Parents or grandparents bring all the kids tour is $20.
- Discounts apply for National Trust for Historic Preservation members and AAA members (10% off in the Museum Shop).
- Members of the Friends of T.C. Steele enjoy free admission at T.C. Steele State Historic Site for tours and site admission, receive 10% off purchases in the Museum shop year round, and 20% off in the shop during the member’s birthday month.
- Members of the Friends of T.C. Steele may enjoy discounts at many T.C. Steele events and programs.
- Members of the Indiana State Museum, ASTC and NARM members receive free tours and site admission. Please remember to bring your ISMHS or other membership card for free admittance.
- Access Pass members get in for $1 per person on the pass. Please remember to bring your Access Pass for free admittance!
Grounds & Gardens
- You may enjoy the grounds free of charge! Download Map of Grounds and Trails (PDF)
- Special group garden tours may be arranged in advance. Additional fees apply.
LOCATION & DIRECTIONS
- From Indianapolis, IN
- Take I-65 South to Columbus, IN. Exit right onto ST RD 46 West. Drive 16 miles to Nashville, IN. Continue on 46 West 9 miles to Belmont, IN. Turn left (south) onto T.C. Steele Rd. Travel 1.5 miles. Enter site to the right.
- From Louisville, KY
Take I-65 North to Columbus, IN. Exit right, then turn left onto ST RD 46 West. Drive 16 miles to Nashville, IN. Continue on 46 West 9 miles to Belmont, IN. Turn left (south) onto T.C. Steele Rd. Travel 1.5 miles. Enter site to the right.
- From Bloomington, IN
Take ST RD 46 East, 9 miles to Belmont, IN. Turn right (south) onto T.C. Steele Rd. Travel 1.5 miles. Enter site to the right.
- From Columbus, IN
Take ST RD 46 West, 16 miles to Nashville, IN. Continue on 46 West 9 miles to Belmont. Turn left (south) onto T.C. Steele Rd. Travel 1.5 miles. Enter site to the right.
- From Nashville, IN
Take ST RD 46 West, 9 miles to Belmont, IN. Turn left (south) onto T.C. Steele Rd. Travel 1.5 miles. Enter site to the right.
Planning an outdoor wedding or other event? The site’s flower-filled grounds offer several settings sure to be perfect for your special day. A 24′ x 24′ building is available for private rental as well. Contact the historic site to request a Facility Use Information Packet.
STUDENT TOURS & PROGRAMS
T.C. Steele State Historic Site is a favorite of both school groups and home-schoolers learning about Indiana history, early Hoosier art and the natural world. To reserve a date or to request information about special programs, contact the historic site at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There’s a lot to see and do in Brown County, Indiana. For information about area restaurants, lodging and events visit the Brown County Convention and Visitors Bureau.