Plan Your Visit
THE SITE WILL BE CLOSED THANKSGIVING DAY, NOV. 26 AND FRIDAY NOV. 27. We will be open for the weekend, Nov. 28th from 9am-5pm, and Nov. 29th from 1-5pm. We’re celebrating Small Business Saturday with 10% EVERYTHING in the Museum Shop, and 20% select items in the shop, this Saturday and Sunday ONLY!
* * *
Visit T.C. Steele State Historic Site and enjoy guided tours of Steele’s studio and home, stroll through Selma Steele’s restored gardens, and discover the ever-changing views of scenic southern Indiana. Take a pleasant drive to a perfect destination. We’re located in Belmont, midway between Bloomington and Nashville, Indiana.
As of July 31st, 2015, our historic stone arches were struck and smashed by the falling of Steele’s old black oak tree. The front entrance remains closed and awaits repair, but we’re still open! Enter through the second entrance, a little farther down the road, and park in our lot or the overflow/bus lot.
For detailed programs and related activities, please check out our Programs page for more information. Here’s the latest:
Steele’s Country Christmas, Saturday, December 5, 2015, from 12-4pm. St. Nicholas and Belsnickel will arrive at noon for a visit at this family friendly holiday event. A musical program of traditional holiday tunes by the Goodwill Girls begins at 2pm. We’ll have cookies and cider, and crafts for adults and children. The program is free with standard admission.
- Tuesday – Saturday 9 am-5 pm
- Sunday 1 pm-5 pm
- Closed Mondays and most holidays.
- In accordance with government closures, the site will be closed on the following days in 2015: Columbus Day (Oct. 12), Election Day (Nov. 3), Veterans Day (Nov. 11), Thanksgiving (Nov. 26 & 27), Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (Dec. 24 & 25) and New Year’s Day (Jan. 1, 2016).
Hourly guided tours of Steele’s Large Studio and the House of the Singing Winds are available year-round. The first tour begins at 9:15 am (1:15 pm on Sundays). The last tour begins at 4:15 pm. Contact the site to schedule a special tour for your group.
- Adults $7.00
- Seniors (60 and up) $5.00
- Children (age 3-12) $2.00
- Children under 3, free
- Group Adult $6.50
- Group Senior (60 and up) $5.00
- Group Child (age 3-12) $1.50
- Children under 3, free
- Organized School Group $1.50/student
- Organized K-12 Indiana School Group FREE for students!
Discounts & Reciprocal Agreements
- NEW! Family Discount: Parents and/or grandparents bring all the kids and family tour is $20.
- Discounts apply for National Trust for Historic Preservation members.
- Members of the Friends of T.C. Steele may enjoy free admission at T.C. Steele State Historic Site, and free admission to the Indiana State Museum and participating Indiana State Historic Sites (ISMHS) with a Friends membership dated by or prior to June 30, 2015.
- Members of the Friends of T.C. Steele may enjoy discounts at many T.C. Steele events and programs.
- Members of the Indiana State Museum receive free tour admission, and participating ISMHS Friends’ groups, with membership dated by or prior to June 30th, 2015, receive free tour admission.
Grounds & Gardens
- You may enjoy the grounds free of charge! Download Map of Grounds and Trails (PDF)
- Special group garden tours may be arranged in advance. Additional fees apply.
LOCATION & DIRECTIONS
- From Indianapolis, IN
- Take I-65 South to Columbus, IN. Exit right onto ST RD 46 West. Drive 16 miles to Nashville, IN. Continue on 46 West 9 miles to Belmont, IN. Turn left (south) onto T.C. Steele Rd. Travel 1.5 miles. Enter site to the right.
- From Louisville, KY
Take I-65 North to Columbus, IN. Exit right, then turn left onto ST RD 46 West. Drive 16 miles to Nashville, IN. Continue on 46 West 9 miles to Belmont, IN. Turn left (south) onto T.C. Steele Rd. Travel 1.5 miles. Enter site to the right.
- From Bloomington, IN
Take ST RD 46 East, 9 miles to Belmont, IN. Turn right (south) onto T.C. Steele Rd. Travel 1.5 miles. Enter site to the right.
- From Columbus, IN
Take ST RD 46 West, 16 miles to Nashville, IN. Continue on 46 West 9 miles to Belmont. Turn left (south) onto T.C. Steele Rd. Travel 1.5 miles. Enter site to the right.
- From Nashville, IN
Take ST RD 46 West, 9 miles to Belmont, IN. Turn left (south) onto T.C. Steele Rd. Travel 1.5 miles. Enter site to the right.
Planning an outdoor wedding or other event? The site’s flower-filled grounds offer several settings sure to be perfect for your special day. A 24′ x 24′ building is available for private rental as well. Contact the historic site to request a Facility Use Information Packet.
STUDENT TOURS & PROGRAMS
T.C. Steele State Historic Site is a favorite of both school groups and home-schoolers learning about Indiana history, early Hoosier art and the natural world. To reserve a date or to request information about special programs, contact the historic site at email@example.com.
There’s a lot to see and do in Brown County, Indiana. For information about area restaurants, lodging and events visit the Brown County Convention and Visitors Bureau.